My I-20 lists the end program date next month. However, I just found out that I would not be able to finish my study as initially planned because I changed my research topic …

… which I need to complete in order to graduate. Therefore, I will apply to my DSO for the extension of my program. Does my wife in F-2 status need to do anything separately to extend her stay?


Your dependents’ F-2 status, including that of your spouse and children, depends on the validity of your F-1 status. This means that, as long as you maintain valid status and obtain a new I-20 reflecting the new end date of your program, your spouse and children will also be in valid F-2 status. While they are not required to make a separate request for the extension of their status with either the school or USCIS, your DSO should issue a separate I-20 in their own name reflecting the new end date of your program. (17.Apr.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.