Do I need to go to India if I want to change status from H1B to H-4 in order to apply for an EAD?


The change can be done either by filing for change of status from within the United States, or by applying for an H-4 visa from abroad. The main difference is that, if the COS is filed in the U.S., the H1B status stays in place and work can continue with the H1B employer until the H-4 change of status request is approved. Hopefully, the EAD will be approved around the same time as the H-4. Otherwise, with a consular case, the EAD has to be filed after returning to the U.S. and it is likely to take 90 days or so for approval. (20.Apr.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.