I am in the U.S. and am being sponsored for a green card by my U.S. citizen son. Does he have to be in the U.S. at the time of filing my I-485?


No, the U.S. citizen petitioner does not have to be in the U.S. in order for the parent being sponsored to file an I-485. The child is just listed on the parent’s I-485 as a matter of data / record keeping, but his whereabouts do not matter. (11.May.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.