I am working in H1B status and I have an EAD based on a pending I-485 that I filed through my wife. Would I automatically switch to EAD if I leave my H1B position?


If a person is working in H1B status and has a pending I-485, he will automatically fall into a period of authorized stay based on the pending I-485 if the H1B position ends. There is nothing that has to be done. The approved EAD would be available for employment with a new employer. (11.May.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.