I am on L-1 and my wife has an L-2 EAD. I will be changing to H1B status on October 1st. When that happens, is there any way for my wife to continue working?


Once you are no longer on L-1, your wife will not be able to stay on L-2 or use the corresponding EAD. She likely will have to change to H-4, unless she can change to her own independent status. Some H-4s will be able to get EADs to allow employment soon, but the primary must have a GC case and otherwise qualify. (18.May.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.