If I don’t have a birth certificate, can I instead use an affidavit for my green card case?


If the birth was not registered, it is necessary to get a certificate of non-availability. Then, it is possible to use alternative documents to prove the information that would be in the birth certificate. This proof can include affidavits, as well as other life documents such as school leaving certificates, medical documents, marriage certificates, religious documents, and the like. (18.May.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.