I was working on OPT when my employer filed an H1B petition for me. The petition is currently pending. I understand that when my EAD expires next week, I will continue to be in F-1 status with employment authorization based on the cap gap rule….

… Should I obtain a new I-20 for the cap-gap extension of my OPT authorization? If yes, what information do I need to provide to my DSO to issue this I-20?


Even though the cap-gap extension is automatic, it is advisable that you obtain a new I-20 to reflect the extension of your cap-gap employment authorization. In most cases, your SEVIS record would already contain the information about the pending or already-approved H1B petition. If so, your DSO would not need any additional information to generate the new I-20 for the cap-gap benefit. However, in some cases, SEVIS does not get updated with the information about the H1B filing. In that case, you may need to present a copy of the H1B receipt notice to your DSO to add this information to your SEVIS record so that a new cap-gap I-20 can be generated. (29.May.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.