My OPT authorization expired one week ago. My employer filed an H1B petition for me and I am currently working based on the cap-gap rule. …

… Today, my employer received a request for evidence (RFE), issued by USCIS, on the pending H1B petition. My employer is now saying that it is unlikely that my H1B petition will be approved. Can I apply for the 17-month STEM extension of my OPT now that my OPT EAD has already expired?


Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has indicated that a student whose initial OPT authorization has been extended based on the cap gap rule can apply for a STEM extension during the cap-gap period. Therefore, you should still be eligible for the STEM extension if you file your application while your H1B petition is still pending.

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.