I have been working on OPT and my employer filed my H1B petition. Unfortunately, it did not get picked in the lottery for processing this year. …

… My OPT will end on July 25th. I am not eligible for a 17-month extension based on a STEM degree. What options do I have to remain in the U.S.?


You will have 60 days of the grace period after July 25th, during which you will remain in F-1 status. If you decide to pursue another degree, you will have to complete your transfer to the new program by the end of your grace period for the next available term, which should not to exceed fives months into the future.

Another possible option would be to apply for a dependent status (using the I-539 form) if you have a spouse in an independent immigration status, such as H1B, L-1 or F-1. (23.Jun.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.