My H1B status expires next month, and I just filed my I-485. Can I stay in the U.S. based on the pending I-485, or do I need to extend my H1B status?


An individual who has a properly filed I-485 may remain in the U.S. based upon that filing. This is considered a “period of authorized stay.” There is no requirement that the H1B status be extended, but it is often advisable to do so to provide a back-up option in case any problems arise with the I-485. If relying on the I-485, it is important to request EAD/AP. (23.Nov.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.