My wife’s N-400 (application for naturalization) was denied on the basis of the number of days absent from the U.S. Should we appeal or refile?


The answer depends upon whether or not the individual meets the statutory requirements for days in the U.S. If the basic requirements aren’t met, then there is nothing to appeal. There may be an option to refile at a later time (or even now, if enough days have accrued). On the other hand, if this is an issue of spending six months outside the U.S., but less than a year, in a single span, that is a rebuttable issue that might be argued. Get some case-specific advice, and look at the refiling option, if that is a clearer case. (07.Dec.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.