I am working based on my H-4 EAD. Can my employer sponsor me for a green card, or do I need to first move to H1B?


There is no requirement that a person in H-4 status move to H1B before being sponsored for a green card. In fact, it is possible for a person to work based on an H-4 EAD throughout the entire green card process, assuming the individual otherwise continues to qualify for H-4 status and the corresponding EAD. (25.Apr.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.