How long is a dependent spouse, with a pending I-485 and EAD, allowed to stay outside the U.S.?


There is not a specific limit to the amount of time a person with a pending I-485 can remain outside the U.S. But, the issue is how the individual is going to be able to return. If the applicant is relying on the AP document, s/he must return before the AP expires. If the applicant plans on returning in an appropriate status (e.g., H1B, H-4, L-1, L-2), s/he must do so while still eligible. (20.Jul.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.