I am completing an MS program while in H-4 status. Do I have to change to F-1 to be eligible for the H1B master’s quota?


Anyone who obtains a U.S. master’s degree (or higher) from an accredited, not-for-profit college or university can file in the master’s cap. It is the degree that matters, not the status held when obtaining the degree. H-4s are eligible to attend school, so that is not a problem. (03.Aug.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.