My wife and I are in H1B status and we recently had a child born in the U.S. Since he is a U.S. citizen, can we obtain any immigration benefits through our child?


Not likely until the child reaches 21. At 21, a USC child could sponsor his/her parents for their green cards. Beyond that, there are limited situations in immigration law in which a child under 21 can assist with immigration issues. (e.g., Waiver or other extraordinary relief might be available based upon hardship to the child.) But, these are not routine requests, and, for the most part, there are no immigration benefits available until the child reaches 21 years of age. (10.Aug.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.