I initially came to the U.S. in H-4 status as a dependent of my husband on H1B. After I was admitted to a U.S. university, I changed my status to F-1. …

… I always maintained my nonimmigrant status in the U.S., including H-4 initially and F-1 currently, and I have another year to complete my degree. This summer, my husband and I would like to take a one week vacation and travel to Canada by car. Do I need to apply for an F-1 visa to reenter the U.S.?


In the situation you describe, as long as you intend to continue to maintain F-1 student status upon your reentry, will not apply for a U.S. visa, and do not stay more than 30 days in Canada, you should be eligible for reentry in F-1 status under the automatic visa revalidation program. Show the old H-4 visa in your passport and your current I-20 endorsed for travel to the CBP officer on your way back to the U.S. The officer then should issue a new I-94 for F-1. (14.Aug.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.