I have completed 12 months of optional practical training (OPT) based on my master’s degree in social work. I am now a law student working towards a Juris Doctor degree. Will I be eligible for OPT based on my next degree?


Generally, an F-1 student is eligible for one 12-month OPT period per each educational level. The question is whether your JD degree should be considered a higher educational level than your master’s degree. Since this is not very clear, given that JD degrees do not fit the standard course of progressive degrees, you should support your OPT application with documentation showing that the JD degree should be considered to be at a higher level than your master’s degree. Such documentation can include a comparative analysis of coursework, expert opinions, and the like. (04.Sep.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved



Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.