I am currently in H1B status. I plan on applying for change of status to F-1 and start attending school full time. Can I continue going to school after my current I-94 expires, if my application for change of status is still pending?


Yes, you can continue attending school in this scenario even if your I-539 application for change of status from H1B to F-1 is still pending after the expiration of your H1B I-94. In that case, you will be in the period of authorized stay pursuant to your pending change of status request until USCIS makes a decision on it. (18.Sep.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.