I originally came to the U.S. to study in M-1 vocational student status. After going to school for a few months, I decided to continue my education …

… and enroll in an academic program that requires I hold F-1 student status. Will I be able to change my status from M-1 to F-1?


No, the regulations do not allow for change of status from M-1 to F-1 within the U.S. You must depart the U.S., apply for an F-1 visa, and then reenter the U.S. in F-1 status to begin your new academic program. (06.Nov.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.