I started my full-time study in H-4 status. At the beginning of my last semester, I applied for change of status from H-4 to F-1. My application is still pending, but I will finish my academic program in a few weeks. …

… I am concerned that I will not have my application for F-1 status approved prior the end of study so that I can apply for optional practical training (OPT). Is there anything I can do to expedite the decision on my application?


You should look up the standard processing time for your application on USCIS WebSite. If it appears that your pending application is not likely to be approved by the time you graduate, you may still be able to change your status by leaving and reentering the U.S. with an F-1 visa, prior to the completion of study. However, you should plan in advance and take into consideration the time required for travel and the visa application process, which may be disruptive to your study. (13.Nov.2015)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.