I was attending school for one year in valid F-1 status. In my third semester, I incidentally fell below the full course load and my DSO told me that I had to apply for reinstatement. …

… The USCIS has just approved my reinstatement application. I would like to apply for authorization for curricular practical training (CPT), and to register it as a practicum for credit. Am I eligible for CPT?


A student, whose F-1 status was reinstated, may be immediately eligible for CPT authorization if s/he accrued at least nine consecutive months in valid F-1 status before falling out of status. Since you were enrolled in full-time study for more than nine consecutive months, in valid F-1 status, you should be eligible to receive CPT authorization, provided you meet all other eligibility criteria. (22.Jan.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.