I recently graduated from my university, and have an application for optional practical training (OPT) currently pending. Due to a family emergency, I have to travel to my home country. Will my departure affect my OPT application process? What documents do I need to get back into the U.S.?


You should be able to reenter the U.S. once the USCIS approves your application for OPT. Students and Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP) recommends that you make sure the USCIS has a valid U.S. address for you, to which it can send important correspondence regarding your application, such as a request for evidence (RFE) if one is issued, and the EAD card once your application is approved. You will need to have your EAD with you when you return to the U.S. It is also recommended that you have an employment verification letter issued by your prospective employer. (05.Feb.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved



Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.