How do I renew a visitor visa that will be expiring soon?


To renew a visa, it is necessary to apply at a U.S. consulate abroad. If you meant to ask about extending B-1/B-2 status, that is done by filing an I-539 form. However, it is not always the best idea to apply for an extension of stay as a B-1/B-2 visitor. Unless one has a very good reason that this is necessary and the visitor’s purpose couldn’t be accomplished during the usual six-month entry period, there is a high risk the application will be denied. (04.April.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.