My H1B visa ‘stamp’ expired, but my H1B extension is valid for another year. If I visit Mexico or Canada for a few days, do I need to get a new visa stamp to reenter in H1B status?


There is an automatic visa revalidation / contiguous territory rule that generally allows for such travel without getting a new visa. If status has been maintained and the person has a valid I-94, reentry is allowed following brief trips (30 days or less) to Canada/Mexico without getting a new visa. (11.Apr.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.