Can my wife apply for an H-4 visa stamp in India while I am in the U.S.? Does it matter that my H1B extension was approved, but my H1B visa stamp has expired?


Yes, a dependent spouse may apply for an H-4 visa stamp while the principal spouse is in the U.S. This, of course, is assuming the principal spouse is in valid H1B status. There is no need for the principal spouse to have an unexpired H1B visa stamp. (23.May.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.