I own a small company that is currently employing several F-1 students on initial OPT. One of our F-1 employee’s OPT will be expiring next month and we would like to extend it, based on his STEM degree. What do we need to do to initiate this process?


An employer and a sponsored student employee should prepare and complete the I-983 form, which describes the student’s training plan in a field directly related to his/her STEM degree, and which contains specific attestations regarding the employer’s understanding of and adherence to the STEM OPT requirements and all applicable laws and rules.

The completed I-983 should be based on a formal company-wide training policy that provides framework for each sponsored student’s training plan, as well as its administration and implementation. The student’s DSO must be provided with the completed I-983. S/he will review it for completeness and issue a recommendation for the STEM OPT extension on a new I-20 form. The student then will need to use the newly issued I-20 in support of his/her employment authorization application (form I-765), filed with the USCIS, requesting the extension of the initial OPT authorization. (27.May.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.