I received an H1B visa stamp from my previous employer. That visa is in my old passport, which is now expired. Do I need to go for stamping again?


If the H1B visa “stamp” is unexpired, it can be used to reenter with a new employer’s I-797 petition approval. It is possible to travel with a new passport and use a visa in an old, expired passport. Just show both documents to the immigration officer at the port of entry, and they should enter a notation that reads “VIOPP” (visa in other passport). (13.Jun.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.