Can I transfer to a new H1B employer while my status is expired and I have an extension that is pending?


This is a complex scenario. If one’s H1B status has technically expired, that person would typically be in a “period of authorized stay” by virtue of the timely filed extension petition. In this type of situation, that individual cannot normally have another H1B approved with an I-94 card unless the extension is approved. The foreign national could, however, have an H1B approved with another company for consular processing. (19.Sep.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.