Is it possible to extend my parent’s stay in the U.S. in B-1/B-2 status beyond the initial 6-month period?


Yes, it is generally possible to request a six-month extension. These requests are frequently denied, however, unless the applicant can provide evidence of a valid reason as to why the extended stay is warranted. Further, a denial could result in the visa ‘stamp’ being automatically revoked, if the I-94 has expired by the time the case is denied. (20.Feb.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.