My I-539 application to extend my H-4 status is pending. I am traveling to India soon and have an appointment for my H-4 visa stamp. My husband is remaining in the U.S. Do I need the I-539 approval to get my new H-4 stamping done?


An approved I-539 is not necessary to apply for an H-4 visa “stamp.” To get the new H-4 visa, one must provide proof of the marriage to the H1B principal spouse and evidence that the H1B spouse is maintaining valid status. (29.Dec.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.