L-2 Dependent

The L-2 visa classification is available to the spouse and child/ren of an individual who holds a valid L1A or L1B intra-company transferee status.


  • The spouse or parent of the L-2 applicant must continue to hold valid L-1 status.
  • The child/ren is/are only eligible for L-2 status while under 21 years of age.
  • L-2 status must be separately extended for each family member by filing an application with the USCIS. It is not automatically extended when the L-1 spouse or parent receives an extension of his/her status.
  • A person may be granted L-2 status by: (1) applying for an L-2 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad, and then entering the United States in L-2 status; or (2) by applying for a change of status with the USCIS, if s/he is already in the United States, but holds a different visa classification.
  • Individuals in L-2 status are permitted to apply for the employment authorization document (EAD) that permits them to work for any employer, as long as they remain in valid L-2 status.

How We Can Help You

The Murthy Law Firm’s Nonimmigrant Department can counsel individuals in regard to applying for and/or maintaining their L-2 status. In some cases, failure to properly extend L-2 status can be cured by requesting special action on the part of the USCIS.