I am about to complete my full 6 years of H1B time. Can I change to F-1 status, get a master’s degree, and then apply for a new H1B under the quota?


In order to become eligible for another six years of H1B time, a person must spend a year outside of the United States. It is not sufficient to simply spend a year (or more) in the U.S. in another status like F-1. (08.Feb.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.