Can we request a change of status for my 18-year-old son from H-4 to F-1 so that he can attend university? Will we still be able to file an I-485 for him once my priority date becomes current?


The I-485 could still be filed in this situation, once the date became current. But, it is not clear why the F-1 is needed. H-4 dependents can attend school. In most situations, the only reason for a dependent child to move from H-4 to F-1 is if the student is applying for CPT or OPT, or if the student is turning 21. Until then, this change of status would typically not be necessary. (11.Apr.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.