I have just graduated with a bachelor’s degree in political science in F-1 status. I would like to continue my education and get a master’s degree in my field. Do I need to obtain a new I-20 for this study?


You must inform your DSO of your plans so that you can maintain valid F-1 status. Your DSO must issue a new I-20, based on your admission to the new program, and initiate the change-of-level procedure in SEVIS while you are still in your 60-day grace period. However, the new program itself does not need to start until the next available term. (04.Aug.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.