If I travel outside the U.S. while my change of status from H1B to H-4 is pending, how can I then return to the U.S.?


Generally speaking, travel while a COS to H-4 is pending will automatically result in the application being considered abandoned. One in this scenario could enter on the existing H1B visa (assuming the visa and H1B petition are still valid, and one will be returning to work for that H1B employer.) Or, the person could apply for an H-4 visa at a consulate to request admission in H-4 status. (23.Oct.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.