I was working on cap-gap OPT until September 30th, based on a pending H1B petition filed by my employer. I stopped working as of October 1st, when my cap gap ended. …

… However, my petition is still pending. I’m concerned that it can be denied and I will need to leave the U.S. Can I transfer to another program of study so that I can continue on F-1, even if my H1B is denied later?


You should be able to transfer your SEVIS record to another program or school within 60 days after the end of your current F-1 program (i.e. September 30th). Though the transfer must be completed while you are still in status, the new program should start within a five-month period at the start of the next available term. (03.Nov.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.