I initially planned on finishing up my master’s degree within two years, which was also reflected on my initial I-20 form issued to me by my school to apply for an F-1 visa. …

… When I came to the U.S. and started my program, I realized that I would need to continue with my program for an extra semester to complete my degree requirements. However, I did not apply for an extension of my program with my DSO and realized my mistake only after my I-20 had already expired. Am I out of status? If yes, how do I get back in valid F-1 status?


Because your I-20 cannot have an expired program end date while you are still working toward completing your degree, you are out of status. You should speak with your DSO about filing a reinstatement application based on a new I-20 issued to support your reinstatement request. (17.Nov.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.