I am a graduate student in F-1 status. I have been working 20 hours per week as a teaching assistant since the start of the current term. In addition to working on campus, I would like to get authorization …

… for curricular practical training (CPT) for another 20 hours per week to work as an intern at a private company. Am I allowed to hold both on-campus and off-campus jobs?


Generally, a student in F-1 status is authorized to engage in on-campus employment not exceeding 20 hours per week when the school is in session. The answer to the question of whether the maximum number of hours in this case would also include any additional types of employment, such as CPT, is unclear. USCIS and its predecessor Legacy INS have been changing their position on this issue back and forth over time. At this time, any guidance previously provided has been removed from the agency’s website.

Although it does not appear that the student working on campus is currently limited to 20 hours per week, in the aggregate with other types of employment, it is advisable to discuss your particular situation with your DSO and academic advisor to make sure you are able to meet all of your coursework and working responsibilities. (02.Feb.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.