My H-4 EAD extension is pending and will expire next week. I will lose my job if it is not renewed before then. Can I ask the USCIS to expedite my case?


It certainly is possible to request the USCIS to expedite a pending H-4 EAD application, but the USCIS is very reluctant to expedite EAD applications. In fact, earlier this year, the USCIS updated the Adjudicator’s Field Manual to state that “[t]he need to obtain employment authorization …, standing alone, without evidence of other compelling factors, does not warrant expedited treatment.” You can read more about the expedite criteria in the MurthyDotCom NewsBrief, USCIS Implements Stricter Expedite Request Criteria (03.Jun.2019). (26.Dec.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.