I need to file to extend my H-4 status and the H-4 status of my son. My son is turning 21 next year, so he is only eligible for about 10 months of H-4 time. Is it ok to file his application as an I-539A supplement with my I-539 application?


It is normally possible to file a dependent child’s H-4 extension as an I-539A, along with the parent’s I-539. However, the USCIS typically will issue the same I-94 expiration date for all the H-4 applicants, included in the I-539 and I-539A/s. So, in a case where one of the applicants will age out, this would mean that all the applicants likely would receive truncated I-94s. Therefore, it may be beneficial to file a separate I-539 for the child who is aging out. (06.Jul.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.