I was working in H1B status and then moved to H-4. I am now considering a change back to H1B status. If I do this, can I still use the same H1B visa stamp in my passport for purposes of travel? It does not expire until the end of the year.


Ordinarily, a change of status from H1B to H-4 would not impact the validity of the H1B visa “stamp” in one’s passport. If the individual leaves the U.S. and wishes to return in H1B status, it typically would be possible to present the approved H1B petition and the unexpired visa.  (08.Jun.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.