I was in H-4 status and was working based on an H-4 EAD. In October, my status changed to H1B, and I was working in that status until recently, when I was laid off. If I depart and return on H-4, can I work as a contractor based on my H-4 EAD?


If you are able to return in valid H-4 status, and the H-4 EAD is still valid, it should be possible to resume working on that EAD. (01.Feb.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.