Can I add my wife as a beneficiary to my I-140 while she is in F-1, or does she need to change to H-4 status first?


The spouse is automatically eligible as a derivative in an employment-based GC case, without regard to the spouse’s status. The spouse doesn’t have to be “added” to the I-140 or I-485. It is an automatic eligibility, and the spouse just needs to file the I-485 once the date is current. No need to change to H-4 to be a GC derivative. (17.Aug.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.