How soon can I shift jobs after my I-140 is approved? Can I still get a 3-year H1B extension if I move to a new job right after the I-140 is approved?


As long as the I-140 remains valid (i.e. not withdrawn by the employer), one can use that I-140 approval as a basis to request a 3-year H1B extension with any employer. There is no wait time to use the I-140 approval for H1B extension, even with a different employer. Keep in mind that, if you are not planning to return to that I-140 sponsor, then your new employer will need to file a new labor certification and I-140 (unless the I-485 has been pending for at least 180 days, in which case AC21 portability might apply). (02.Nov.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.