I am in H1B status and have an I-485 that has been pending for fewer than 180 days. Can I transfer to a different H1B employer without jeopardizing my I-485?


It is risky to leave the initial sponsoring employer prior to the 180-day mark. Simply filing the H1B would not automatically result in the loss of the I-485. But, if one does not plan to return to the sponsoring employer upon issuance of the green card, that could be a serious problem. You should schedule a time to discuss your case in depth with an attorney before you make the move. (14.Dec.2015)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.