Can a person with an H-4 EAD work in any field?


A person with an H-4 EAD can work in virtually any field. This is unrestricted work authorization. It can be full time or part time; the person can be self-employed, work as a W-2 employee, or work as a 1099 independent contractor. As long as one maintains valid H-4 status (which generally means the H1B principal spouse must remain in valid status, too) and the EAD remains valid / unexpired, there are very few limitations on employment options for the H-4 spouse. (18.Jan.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.

Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.