I was enrolled in a J-1 clinical program, but I have not yet completed my 2-year home residency requirement. I am on F-1. Can I apply for change of status to a new J-1 clinical program?


As a general rule, people who are subject to the 2-year HRR cannot change status from within the United States. But, they may be eligible to obtain certain visas from outside the U.S. to allow for a status change through consular processing. (11.Apr.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.