I have completed 6 years in H1B status. My LC is being appealed with BALCA. If I go back to India for one year, and then wish to return in H1B status, do I have to go through the lottery again? If not, how much H1B time will I get?


A case pending with BALCA may be used as a basis to apply for a one-year extension of H1B status, assuming the LC was filed at least 365 days prior. So, if the beneficiary left for a year and the BALCA case is still pending, she would be eligible for a one-year extension. But, the same holds true if she remained in the U.S. during that period. The year abroad gives the option of resetting the 6-year H1B clock. But, this means having to file a cap-subject case (i.e. applying through the H1B lottery). (18.Apr.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.