I left the U.S. in the middle of my program of study in F-1 status because of a family emergency. I am ready to return to the U.S. this afternoon, after being outside for one week, but I just realized that my I-20 has not been signed by my DSO for travel. Will I be able to reenter the U.S.?


A student returning to the U.S. without all of the required travel documents may be denied entry. However, immigration inspectors have discretion to admit students in these cases for up to 30 days with a I-515A form. In such cases, in order to convert 30-day admissions to admission for duration of status (i.e. “D/S”), one must obtain and provide SEVP with the requested documents to within the allotted period. If one fails to comply with the I-515A instructions, the SEVIS record may be terminated and the status will end. (25.Jul.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.