I had to drop a class last semester, after realizing it was too difficult for me and I would not be able to finish it. Because of that, I went below full-time enrollment, …

… but did not ask my DSO to authorize the reduction in my course load. My DSO told me that this resulted in F-1 status violation and she helped me apply for reinstatement. My reinstatement application is currently pending, but I plan to go home to see my family in Argentina at the end of this semester. Will I be able to come back to resume my reinstatement application?


Unfortunately, your departure from the U.S. will result in an abandonment of your reinstatement application. If you must travel, you should obtain a new I-20 form from your DSO for initial attendance and reenter the U.S. as a new F-1 student. You will need to pay a new SEVIS fee and maintain a full academic year of full-time study upon your return to become eligible again for employment authorization such as CPT and OPT. (07.Oct.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.